- 1 1/2 lbs asparagus spears, trimmed
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 t finely shredded lemon peel (set aside)
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 2-oz block Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
1. In a covered large skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of boiling water for 3 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, for marinade: In a 2-quart rectangular baking dish, combine oil, lemon juice, salt, and the 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add asparagus, stirring to coat. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Place asparagus on a grill tray or in a grill basket.
2. For a charcoal grill, place asparagus on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 3 to 5 minutes or until asparagus is tender and starting to brown, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place asparagus on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
3. Arrange asparagus on a serving platter. Working over asparagus, use a cheese plane or vegetable peeler to cut thin, wide strips from the side of cheese block. Sprinkle asparagus with lemon peel and, if desired, additional pepper. Makes 6 servings.
From Ultimate Italian, a Better Homes & Gardens Special Interest Publication
Notes: We blanched the asparagus with the cold water sprayer in the sink after draining the boiling water. We did not use a grill tray; we placed directly on grill grate.
Katie: This was an awesome recipe! We have tried grilled asparagus in the past, just winging the recipe, without success. I think we’ve found one that really works now! I am super excited because I absolutely LOVE asparagus. We also bake it in the oven with just a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, but this recipe was so much better! The citrus brought such a bright flavor to the asparagus, and I wish I could have eaten more of it. We have found that we really like to shave the Parmesan cheese on top of dishes, as it adds an elegant aspect to whatever we are making. This is a home run recipe that I am sure we will make again and again! Possibly more often when the temperature stays under 100°F!!
Gray: I agree with what Katie said. This was awesome. It is a super simple recipe, but it has amazing flavor and looks very elegant. It is one of those dishes that is equally at home at a fancy dinner party or a low key BBQ.