- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 T cornstarch
- 1/4 t salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 4 slightly beaten eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- 1 t finely shredded lemon peel
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
- Powdered Sugar
1. In a large bowl combine the 2 cups flour, the 1/2 cup powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. (It’s easy to lift the bars out of the pan for cutting if you first line your baking pan with foil, then grease the foil.) Bake in a 350° oven for 18-20 minutes or until edges are golden.
2. Meanwhile, for the filling, in a medium bowl stir together the eggs, granulated sugar, the 3 T flour, lemon peel, lemon juice, and half-and-half. Pour filling over hot crust.
Yield: 36 bars
From New Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book
Gray: These are wonderful lemon bars, not too sweet, and a great lemon flavor. They were easy to make and turned out fantastic. This is one of our favorite cookbooks. It has tons of recipes for almost anything you would want to make, and they are all well-tested.
Katie: They are lemon bars! There can be nothing bad to say and I can’t do justice to all the good things about them! YUMMMM!!