- 8 ounces small (salad) macaroni
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 cup baby peas
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Cook the macaroni according to directions on the package. Drain well, rinse, and cool.
- In a medium bowl mix together the mayonnaise, salt, pickle relish, and onion.
- In a large bowl combine the cooled macaroni, celery, and green pepper.
- Gently toss in the peas and eggs.
- Chill well before serving.
From: Retro Barbeque by Linda Everett
Gray: I have come to really like pasta salad, and I’ve started trying to duplicate some that I have enjoyed. We recently made some with an oil based dressing that was fantastic. This is a creamier type of macaroni salad, and it was delicious. It has a very fresh flavor and is not overly greasy. It is very easy to make and it makes enough for a crowd. I took it to lunch for several days to have with my sandwich and it was just as good as on the first day. As a note, we used Duke’s light mayo (we always do, and it works just as well as the all-fat kind) I also used frozen peas and thawed them by running under cold water in a colander. This was a great time-saver. The peas were just as good as fresh and much better than canned.
Katie: Growing up, I never liked pasta salad. This continued into my adult life, with me never wanting to try any pasta salad because I didn’t think I would like it. As I’ve said before, one of the good things about us doing this blog is that I have become more adventurous in trying food, and am always willing to give a dish a shot even if I don’t think I will like it. This has led me to discovering foods and dishes that I absolutely love, and I cannot recommend enough to discard preconceived notions about foods! As you can expect from my lead in, this pasta salad was delicious! We recently found a pizza, wing, and sandwich place (they have other things too – like wonderful lasagna) that serves a pasta salad with their sandwiches. I decided to give it a try and I really liked it! We thought this would be similar to that pasta salad. While it is similar, it has a different flavor and is good in its own right. Give this recipe a try even if you think you don’t like pasta salad!