- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 /2 cup stone-ground yellow or white cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter the sides and bottom of a 4 cup souffle or casserole dish.
- Warm buttermilk in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cornmeal. Cook, stirring often, until mixture is thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Stir in butter and salt and remove from heat. Let cool.
- Whisk egg yolks into cornmeal mixture. Add green onions; stir well.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add to cornmeal mixture, a little at a time, folding gently to avoid deflating.
- Scrape mixture into a prepared pan. Bake 25-30 Minutes, until puffed, golden brown and set. Serve immediately by spooning portions onto individual plates.
Variation: Add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese along with the green onions.
Yield: 4 servings
From Relish Magazine
Gray: We really loved this one. It was tangy and creamy and the onions and cheese gave it a great flavor. I made the variation with the cheese to make it more filling, and it was fantastic. We will definitely make this again. I felt a little overwhelmed when I started making this. I had read over the ingredients and the recipe a couple of times, but I missed the part where I was making a souffle. We’ve done them a couple of times now and they really aren’t that difficult, but it was still a little intimidating to be doing that alongside the other work I did for this meal. I’ll share the other half of this awesome dinner next week. You will not want to miss it, I promise!
Katie: This was awesome!! The spoonbread was very moist and delicious. It was nice and puffy and the flavor from the green onions and cheese was perfect. Gray did an excellent job with this recipe. This one is definitely a keeper! Just typing up the comments makes me want some more. Next week’s recipe is also delish so check back next Sunday!