- 3 medium potatoes (1 pound)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine
- Peel potatoes; coarsely shred to make 3 cups. Rinse the shredded potatoes and pat dry with paper towels. Combine shredded potatoes, onion, salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet melt butter. Using a pancake turner, pat potato mixture into skillet. Cook over medium-low heat about 10 minutes or until bottom is crisp. Cut into 4 wedges; turn. Cook for 8 10 10 minutes more or until golden.
From: New Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
Gray: I can’t wait to do this again! These were really great. This is one of the times I love having a food processor: everything goes in and food comes out (almost). I did shred the potatoes and onions with the food processor, which made everything go a lot faster. I will add a bit more onion next time just because I love the flavor. I got a little too much oil in the pan, which made them a little greasy, but other than that, these were delicious.
Katie: I have never been crazy about hashbrowns. Gray has been talking about how good they are for quite a long time, but I hadn’t had any hashbrowns that I thought were anything to write home about. My preference has always been home fry type potatoes. Well, I can tell you that if more hashbrowns tasted like these did, I would have changed my mind long ago! These were so good! As Gray said, he got too much oil in the pan, so they were a bit too greasy, but the flavor was just delicious! I really loved the crispy outside. I was wishing we had more of them to go with our eggs! This recipe is definitely one we will make again.