- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 large garlic cloves, to taste, minced
- 2 pounds zucchini or other summer squash, cut in 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- 1/2 cup Arborio rice, cooked
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (fresh or dry)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Oil a 2-quart gratin dish.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stir together for about 30 seconds, until it begins to smell fragrant, and stir in the squash. Cook, stirring often, until the squash is translucent but not mushy, 5 to 10 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper. Stir in the thyme and rice, and remove from the heat.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon salt and the cheese. Stir in the zucchini mixture and combine well. Scrape into the gratin dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top. Drizzle on the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is browned and the gratin is sizzling. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
Yield: 6 Servings
From: The Splendid Table
Gray: This was definitely not my favorite dish. Katie enjoyed it much more that I did. I really didn’t like the flavor. I think I just didn’t enjoy the thyme. In any case It was fairly simple to make and it I would recommend giving it a try if you like zucchini.
Katie: I thought this was pretty good, and I enjoyed it, but Gray wouldn’t even give it a second chance. It was definitely not as good as our stuffed zucchini that we made a while back, but I thought it was still good. I do think the thyme gave it a completely different flavor that anything else I have eaten with zucchini. I would recommend it if you like zucchini and are looking for something different to try! It made a very large dish, so cut down the recipe if you don’t need to make very much.