- 9 ozs all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 10 T unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup egg substitute (or 3 eggs)
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Stir with a whisk.
3. Place butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook 6 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Pour into a small bowl, and cool for 10 minutes. Combine butter and egg substitute (or eggs), stirring with a whisk. Pour butter mixture over flour mixture and stir until moistened. Spoon batter into a 13 x 9-inch metal baking pan coated with cooking spray. Smooth top with spatula. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 48 squares.
From Cooking Light Quick Baking Magazine
Katie: I wanted to make something different for Christmas. I got to looking in this cookbook and found these butterscotch blondies. I was intrigued by the brown butter and wanted to give it a try. I do not keep egg substitute in the house and did not want to buy it for 3/4 cup, so I looked up the conversion to eggs and used 3 eggs. This recipe was definitely a winner and came out looking like the picture in the cookbook! I always think that is a good sign. When we tasted the blondies, we were so impressed. They are crunchy around the outside edges and the top is crisper. The inside was a wonderful gooey texture, which sometimes indicates not done, but since the toothpick came out clean I think they are supposed to taste like this! Whether or not the gooey inside was intended by the recipe, I would make them the same way again because they were so good!!
Gray: Wow, these are great! I could eat them all day, every day… That’s probably not a good thing, but if you want to have some great blondies, make these now. I’m not sure how this recipe came out of a Cooking Light publication, but these are fantastic. I can’t say enough about how good these are.